Apartment List has released Yonkers's results from the first annual Apartment List Renter Satisfaction Survey. The survey, which drew on responses from over 18,000 renters, provides new insights into what states and cities must do to meet the needs of the 105 million American renters nationwide.
"Yonkers renters rank far below average for city satisfaction driven by low grades for safety and the economy," says Andrew Tam, Vice President of Data Science at Apartment List. "The US renter population is at its highest level in 20 years, and renters show particular sensitivity to safety when choosing a place to live, an area where Yonkers struggles."
Key findings in Yonkers include the following:
- Renters gave Yonkers a D for city satisfaction, which ranks it in the 20% of the 100 cities we studied nationwide.
- City satisfaction is highly correlated to confidence in the local economy, where Yonkers earned a D: only 17% of respondents believe the local economy is on the right track.
- 58% of Yonkers renters plan to purchase an apartment or house in the future, which is slightly below the nationwide average of 60%.
- Renters gave Yonkers its highest grade for quality of daily commute, with 71% of respondents reporting satisfaction with commute times to school or work.
- 3 out of 4 respondents are not satisfied with safety and crime rates in Yonkers: this ranks 5th lowest nationwide.
- The survey covered 7 New York cities, which earned city satisfaction grades ranging from an A to an F. New York City topped the list with an A and was followed by Brooklyn (B+), Albany (B+), Buffalo (C+), Rochester (C-), Yonkers (D), and the Bronx (F).
- The top rated cities nationwide for city satisfaction were Plano, TX; Boston, MA; Arlington, VA; Austin, TX; and Torrance, CA. The lowest rated cities were Newark, NJ; New Haven, CT; Bridgeport, CT; Hartford, CT; and Columbia, SC.
A detailed report explaining the survey's methodology, analysis, and findings is available upon request. To obtain a copy, please email Andrew Tam, Apartment List's Vice President of Data Science, at email@example.com.