163 Apartments in Brownsville, Texas
Brownsville Apartment Renter's Guide
Howdy, partner. Rumor has it you’re planning to saddle up and head on down to Brownsville, Texas, the “city on the border by the sea.” Wise move, future Lone Star leaser, if you have a hankering to live in a town where the cost of living is low. Think you got what it takes to call yourself a true Texan? Then read on, and you’ll be living the dream in Brownsville in no time…
Life on the Border by the Sea
- Don’t pack your walking shoes… More than 80 percent of Brownsville neighborhoods are vehicle-dependent, meaning they either don’t have adequate sidewalks or the distance between points A and B is generally too lengthy for walkers. Bottom line: Don’t show up in Brownsville without a set of wheels at your disposal.
- Get on the BUS… The Brownsville Urban System, or BUS (clever, eh?), is a viable transportation alternative, even if few of the city’s residents (less than 1 percent) actually use it. The BUS runs 15 fixed routes and charges a buck for a one-way ride and a quarter for transfers.
- Get ready to pocket your money… Expect your money to go a long way in Brownsville. The cost of living is 25 percent lower than the average American city, and even luxury apartments and multi-bedroom units rarely soar above the $700 mark. Something else to consider: Property taxes in Texas rank among the country’s steepest (behind only Connecticut and New Jersey), while rental rates remain low. Who says it’s always better to buy than lease?
How to Find an Apartment of Your Dreams
First, the good news: The average rental price in Brownsville is just above $500, making the city one of the most renter-friendly communities in Texas. A surprising number of luxury pads (mostly in the Historic District and the West End Neighborhood) are available as well, and nearly all complexes include complimentary tenant parking and other basic amenities.
Now the really good news: The general rule of thumb is that everything is bigger in Texas (yes, everything), and apartments in Brownsville are no exception. Many 2 BR units include 1000-plus square feet of living space, and a number of complexes offer multi-level townhomes, as well.
And now for a dose of cold, hard reality: Renters account for 35 percent of Brownsville’s inhabitants, but that doesn’t mean units will always be available. In fact, some of the city’s most popular rental properties rarely have openings, leaving prospective renters twiddling their thumbs on indefinite waiting lists. Quality apartments are always available somewhere in Brownsville, but don’t expect to always have the pick of the litter.
As always, when you are ready to apply for a lease, arm yourself with the basics, including identification, consecutive paycheck stubs, banking information, and a list of previous landlords.
Breaking down Brownsville
Brownsville lays claim to 30-plus neighborhoods, all of which share some common traits. No matter which vicinity of Brownsville you opt to call home, you’re sure to feel plenty of humid Gulf breezes, and be surrounded by awe-inspiring architecture. Just a few of the more popular areas of Brownsville include:
- Downtown Brownsville … An ideal living locale for residents working in the financial district, the bustling downtown area is one of Brownsville’s few walker-friendly neighborhoods. Apartments generally run in the $500-$600 range. A limited number of townhouses are available for rent in the more fashionable Rio Viejo area in north downtown.
- Cameron Park … Located on the shopper-friendly north side of the city, Cameron Park is a viable option for budget-conscious renters. Average rental cost is only $380, and plenty of single-family detached homes are available for rent.
- Riverside … Just a stone’s throw from the business district is the eclectic Riverside neighborhood, whose rental properties include homes ranging in age from the 1930s up through the 1990s. Both detached homes and apartments are available for as low as the mid-$300 range.
Hope this helps, and happy hunting!
Top Schools in Brownsville
Win a year of free rent!
Enter for a chance to win by February 28, 2023 | Learn more
Get started by taking our personalized quiz
- Brownsville Apartments with Balconies (15)
- Brownsville Apartments with Garages (23)
- Brownsville Apartments with Gyms (3)
- Brownsville Apartments with Parking (44)
- Brownsville Apartments with Pools (7)
- Brownsville Apartments with Washer-Dryers (13)
- Brownsville Dog Friendly Apartments (13)
- Brownsville Furnished Apartments (5)
- Brownsville Pet Friendly Apartments (13)
- Los Fresnos, TX Apartments (3)
- Rancho Viejo, TX Apartments (7)
- Laguna Vista, TX Apartments (7)
- Port Isabel, TX Apartments (4)
- San Benito, TX Apartments (3)
- Harlingen, TX Apartments (24)
- South Padre Island, TX Apartments (13)
- Mercedes, TX Apartments (3)
- Weslaco, TX Apartments (15)
- Edcouch, TX Apartments (1)
- Donna, TX Apartments (2)
- Murillo, TX Apartments (5)
- San Juan, TX Apartments (6)
- Pharr, TX Apartments (31)
- Edinburg, TX Apartments (61)
- McAllen, TX Apartments (84)