Arlington, VA Rental Market Trends
Arlington Rent Report: December 2022
Welcome to the Apartment List December 2022 Rent Report for Arlington, VA. Currently, the overall median rent in the city stands at $2,184, after falling 2.2% last month. Prices remain up 4.5% year-over-year. Read on to learn more about what’s been happening in the Arlington rental market and how it compares to trends throughout the broader Arlington metro area and the nation as a whole.
Arlington rents are down 2.2% month-over-month and up 4.5% year-over-year
The median rent in Arlington fell by 2.2% over the course of November, and has now increased by a total of 4.5% over the past 12 months. Arlington’s rent growth over the past year has is similar to both the state (4.4%) and national averages (4.6%).
Arlington rent growth in 2022 pacing below last year
Eleven months into the year, rents in Arlington have risen 6.7%. This is a slower rate of growth compared to what the city was experiencing at this point last year: from January to November 2021 rents had increased 18.5%.
November rent growth in Arlington ranked #91 among large U.S. cities
Arlington rents went down 2.2% in the past month, compared to the national rate of -1.0%. Among the nation's 100 largest cities, this ranks #91. Similar monthly rent growth took place in Durham, NC (-2.1%) and Tacoma, WA (-2.2%).
Arlington is the #10 most expensive large city in the U.S., with a median rent of $2,184
Citywide, the median rent currently stands at $2,060 for a 1-bedroom apartment and $2,464 for a 2-bedroom. Across all bedroom sizes (ie, the entire rental market), the median rent is $2,184. That ranks #10 in the nation, among the country's 100 largest cities.
For comparison, the median rent across the nation as a whole is $1,163 for a 1-bedroom, $1,333 for a 2-bedroom, and $1,356 overall. The median rent in Arlington is 61.1% higher than the national, and is similar to the prices you would find in Anaheim, CA ($2,215) and Santa Ana, CA ($2,164).
Arlington rents are 13.2% higher than the metro-wide median
If we expand our view to the wider Arlington metro area, the median rent is $1,929 meaning that the median price in Arlington proper ($2,184) is 13.2% greater than the price across the metro as a whole. Metro-wide annual rent growth stands at 3.5%, below the rate of rent growth within just the city.
The table below shows the latest rent stats for 31 cities in the Arlington metro area that are included in our database. Among them, Arlington is currently the most expensive, with a median rent of $2,184. Suitland is the metro’s most affordable city, with a median rent of $1,543. The metro's fastest annual rent growth is occurring in Leesburg (8.2%) while the slowest is in Chevy Chase (-4.1%).
You can also use the map below to explore the latest rent trends in the Arlington metropolitan area.
Apartment List is committed to the accuracy and transparency of our rent estimates. We begin with reliable median rent statistics from the Census Bureau, then extrapolate them forward to the current month using a growth rate calculated from our listing data. In doing so, we use a same-unit analysis similar to Case-Shiller’s approach, capturing apartment transactions over time to provide an accurate picture of rent growth in cities across the country. Our approach corrects for the sample bias inherent in other private sources, producing results that are much closer to statistics published by the Census Bureau and HUD. For more details, please see the Apartment List Rent Estimate Methodology.
Apartment List publishes monthly rent reports and underlying data for hundreds of cities across the nation, as well as data aggregated for counties, metros, and states. These data are intended to be a source of reliable information that help renters and policymakers make sound decisions. Insights from our data are covered regularly by journalists across the country. To access the data yourself, please visit our Data Downloads Page.
Top rent specials in Arlington
Cities similar to Arlington
- Arlington Accessible Apartments (77)
- Arlington Apartments with Balconies (220)
- Arlington Apartments with Garages (155)
- Arlington Apartments with Gyms (162)
- Arlington Apartments with Hardwood Floors (178)
- Arlington Apartments with Parking (253)
- Arlington Apartments with Pools (141)
- Arlington Apartments with Washer-Dryers (219)
- Arlington Dog Friendly Apartments (167)
- Arlington Furnished Apartments (42)
- Arlington Luxury Apartments (211)
- Arlington Pet Friendly Apartments (168)
- Bailey's Crossroads, VA Apartments (8)
- Seven Corners, VA Apartments (5)
- Alexandria, VA Apartments (189)
- Lake Barcroft, VA Apartments (6)
- Falls Church, VA Apartments (30)
- Brookmont, MD Apartments (4)
- Lincolnia, VA Apartments (12)
- Friendship Heights Village, MD Apartments (5)
- West Falls Church, VA Apartments (14)
- Washington, DC Apartments (1157)
- Huntington, VA Apartments (19)
- Rose Hill, VA Apartments (11)
- Chevy Chase Village, MD Apartments (5)
- Pimmit Hills, VA Apartments (7)
- Chevy Chase, MD Apartments (8)
- Idylwood, VA Apartments (9)