How to Find Corporate Apartments
When you need to stay in a city for a short time, but not long enough to commit to a traditional full-term lease, lengthy hotel stays aren’t your only option.
Corporate apartments offer fully furnished, flexible leasing options for anyone stuck in this sticky renters’ situation.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about corporate apartments, including:
What is a Corporate Apartment Rental?
A corporate apartment is a rental unit that is designed for use by workers in need of temporary housing during an extended stay. These turnkey units are typically fully furnished and rented under a single rent payment with utilities included.
How Does Corporate Housing Work?
Corporate housing, another term for corporate apartments, works by serving a specific renter niche. Though originally used for business employees whose work took them out of town frequently and for long periods, corporate apartments have come to serve a variety of renters.
The biggest draw to corporate apartments is their short-term flexible lease length options. In addition to employees, students, contractors, digital nomads, and vacationers are often attracted to these units.
When renting a corporate apartment, you’re not confined to the standard 12-month lease agreement. Better yet, you don’t have to go through the hassle of furnishing an entire apartment, financially or otherwise.
The icing on the cake is that corporate apartments skew toward the luxurious. The furnishings, amenities, and property are all of higher quality than what you might expect at other apartments.
In short, corporate housing provides the perfect temporary home for any renter.
How to Find Corporate Apartments Near You
If you’re in the market for a corporate apartment, then you’re in luck. These units are easy to find across major cities in the US.
Better yet, if you follow the tips below, you’ll find yourself in a gorgeous corporate apartment in no time.
Start your Search Early
When it comes to searching for a corporate apartment, there are strategies involving the seasonality of the rental industry that can help you land your dream corporate apartment.
If you want to choose from the largest selection of rental units, you’ll need to start your search in March when the rate of renters moving begins increasing toward its August peak.
If you’re on the hunt for the most affordable corporate apartment, start your rental search in the off-season when apartment searches reach their lowest in December and January.
That said, the best time of year to look for an apartment is as early as possible! This is especially true when it comes to corporate apartments.
By their nature, corporate apartments experience a lot of turnover, regardless of the time of year.
To ensure that you find an apartment that suits your needs, it’s crucial to start your apartment search as far in advance as possible.
Know What You’re Looking For
What are you looking for in your corporate apartment?
As corporate apartments usually come with a host of amenities and upscale furnishings, you’ll likely be hard-pressed to find a unit that doesn’t tick off every box on your must-have list.
That said, it’s still important to create an apartment must-have list, as it will help you narrow down your options and ensure that you don’t leave anything on the table when making a final decision.
Search for Listings Online
Searching for corporate apartments will take some time and effort on your part.
With significant competition for corporate apartments, it’s important to have patience when initiating your search.
Luckily, choosing the right platform to start your search for a corporate apartment is half the battle.
Apartment List helps renters find apartments that fit their needs by starting the search with a survey to gauge their preferences.
If you’re looking for a corporate apartment on Apartment List, simply filter your search down to short-term leases in the city of your choice.
Contact the Property Owner
If you’re renting a corporate apartment in another state, you’ll likely have to rent an apartment sight unseen, unless you’re cool with spending money on a hotel or other housing accommodation while you work out the leasing kinks.
That’s why it’s crucial to ensure that you contact the property owner of the unit you’re interested in and explain your situation.
They’ll be able to recommend the best lease option for you and your needs.
You’ll also be able to set up a tour of the apartment, though it may be virtual if you can’t travel to see it.
Go On Tours and Ask Questions
Whether your tour is in-person or virtual, the same rules apply. You’ll need to make your way through the apartment to ensure that it’s a great fit for you.
Of course, this starts with assessing the apartment’s condition. Would you want to deal with a finicky refrigerator in the middle of the summer?
However, it’s equally important to have a thorough understanding of the apartment’s amenities and procedures.
So, you’ll have to whip out the list of questions you came prepared with. If you don’t have a pre-made list of questions, don’t worry. Check out our list of 20 questions to ask when renting an apartment — the highlights of which include:
- How does parking work?
- Is the unit pet-friendly?
- Am I responsible for the cost of utilities?
There are many more questions to ask, but these are the basics that will help you get a good idea of what to expect when renting a corporate apartment.
Pros and Cons of Corporate Apartments
It’s important to do your due diligence during your apartment search and determine a rental unit’s advantages and disadvantages.
Like all units, corporate apartments have both pros and cons that may greatly affect your decision to rent them.
Luckily, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of corporate apartments.
Pros of Renting a Corporate Apartment
- Flexibility: Many corporate apartments offer month-to-month leases or shorter lease terms. They are perfect for many situations, whether it’s a long vacation or heading for a massive corporate takeover.
- Cost-effective: While corporate apartments may rent for higher rates than traditional apartments when you factor in the cost of moving house and furnishing an entire apartment — it’s a downright steal!
- Move-in Ready: In a fully furnished corporate apartment, you don’t need to cart a ton of things across the country every time you move. Simply fill the refrigerator and unpack your essentials.
Cons Renting a Corporate Apartment
- High Priced Rent: Fully-furnished luxury living will cost you. Corporate apartments typically boast rent prices that are substantially higher than traditional rental units.
- Short Term Lease Options: If you intend to rent a corporate apartment, it’s important to be aware that short-term leases can be annoying to deal with. If you want to stay longer for whatever reason, you may have a hard time renewing your lease if your apartment is in high demand or has already been rented out to the next person.
- High Moving Costs: Whichever way you slice it, moving around multiple times per year isn’t exactly cheap. Renting corporate apartments repeatedly really only works if you earn enough to support the higher rent and additional moving costs.
- Renting Sight-Unseen: In a lot of ways, renting a corporate apartment can be like booking a hotel when planning to travel. You may not be able to tour the apartment in person in the same way you would with a traditional unit. This means you’ll have to rent sight-unseen which comes with its own risks.
Whether a corporate apartment is right for you depends wholly on your situation. Corporate apartments are great for renters looking for reliable, affordable, short-term accommodation. However, they aren’t usually the best option for anyone else.
That said, simply doing your research and being sure to rent units that are a good fit for you can help you land a great unit.
Ready to start your apartment search? Take our quiz to help you land your dream apartment!